Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Window film to block sun heat

John61 wrote:
My new house has a few big windows facing southwest, taking much sun heat in
the afternoon. Have to keep the heat pump working till after midnight to
cool down.

I went to HomeDepot and hoped could find some kind of window film that can
block sun heat - something like we put on minivan window glass. But there
are only some small packs of decorative films available there. Need some
advice on this.

Thanks.

Hi,
Those films known to damage the glass(cracking) from heat build up.
It happened to our window. S/W facing double pane window suffered damage
and window company wouldn't honor warranty finding out film was
used. Single pane windows are OK. Since we upgraded to low E Argon
filled double pane windows. Single panes on my sun room still has films
w/o any problem.