Posted to alt.home.repair
Aaron Fude Aaron Fude is offline

Default Chassis wiring vs. power transmission

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Aaron Fude wrote:

I'm learning to interpret the table here (about 1/3 of the way down):

http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

What are examples "Chassis wiring" and what is "power transmission"?

My specific situation: I have a 70 foot run of 10/3 wire to a subpanel
inside my house. How many amps can I have on that subpanel?

Thanks,

Aaron

Chassis wiring is *short* lengths of wiring inside a machine. I use 16
gauge in an industrial food processor that draws about 15 amps. That's
well under the chassis wiring limit, but far more than you could draw
through house wiring. It's all about ohms per foot.

Thanks for your insightful response, BTW.