Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Name for latching door stop/stay

It happens that The Medway Handyman formulated :
The Medway Handyman wrote:
RJS wrote:
I'm looking for a supplier of a type of latching door stop/stay that
I have seen on boats. Without a meaningful name the search is
proving difficult. I'll try to describe the gadget:

The idea is that the door opens to, say, 90deg and comes up against a
bracket level with the top of the door and bolted to the hinge wall.
As it approaches the bracket (and attached buffer) the top of the
door lifts and passes below a weighted latch. This latch drops in
front of the door preventing it from closing. The latch is lifted
to allow the door to close. The bracket looks a bit like a one of
the mounts for an aerial mast IIRC.

Do you mean the sort of clip that holds the flap in a pub counter in
the up position? Can't think what they are called though.

They might be called 'lift-up bar counter hatches' :-)

There is also another similar idea, which I have found very effective
on both of the small doors of my garage...

A flat steel bar, pivoted onto the frame so it can fold out of the way
as the door closes. As the door is opened a latch drops down which
prevents the door opening further and retains it open. You pull a cord
to allow the door to be closed.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)