Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Motor rewinding cost

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 20:07:59 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus21207
scrawled the following:

On 2009-07-11, Larry Jaques novalidaddress@di wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:18:41 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus21207
scrawled the following:

I have this electric powered pressure washer that I want to fix. At
this time, it appears (from talking to the tech of the airport that
got rid of it) that the motor has an internal short. I would want to
confirm this first, but let's assume for a moment that this is the
case. The two obvious alternatives are buying a new motor or
rewinding.

The motor is "6 HP" (sic), 3450 RPM, 182T frame, single phase motor,
23 amps IIRC.

The best local quote that I got for rewinding this motor is $339. Is
this in a reasonable ballpark or should I look harder?

I will try to test this machine during the weekend.

For that price, you could adapt a Honda engine to it and have a more
portable unit. Here's a 6hp Subaru Robin for $250.

This is a great motor, but as it turned out, what the tech told me
about a "burned up motor" is bunkum. The motor runs great. The problem
lies elsewhere and is likely an inexpensive fix. See my separate
post.

Saw it, thanks.

P.S: I'm happy to hear that it has a good sense of smell. sigh

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.