Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Soil stack replacement Q

Jim wrote:
Jethro wrote:
our bungalow ("L"-shaped) has a nuisance soil stack (stench pipe)
situated in the back, in the inside corner of the "L". Currently it's
made of cast iron, looks grotty,and is a pain, as the guttering is
squeezed behind the angle where it goes up.

I know it's possible to replace it with a straight pipe, which enters
the eaves, and vents through a chimmney in the roof (replacing a
tile).

However, since the purpose of the pipe is to admit air (to prevent
siphonage), is it possible to fit a new shorter pipe, with an air-
admittance only valve ? I'm sure I've seen one advertised ...

It's not only to admit air - the stack pipe also has the function of
venting the sewer. Building control like to see a vent every few houses.

Yes that's one of the specific regs: if next door has a vented stack
you're probably OK. Also you can't be the last property at the end of a
row (eg cul-de-sac) so that your AAV valve is at the blind end of the
drainage system.

David