Posted to alt.home.repair

Default shock from electric stove

Years ago, I worked on a stove with a similar problem. The
answer turned out to be that the burners are SUPPOSED to
ground to the metal cook top. This one, the shocking burner,
wasn't properly grounded. I drilled a hole, put in a screw,
and then grounded the burner to the cook top with some bare
copper wire (under the cook top of course).

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"TimR" wrote in message
Kids complained they got a shock from the stove.

I put a meter on it, a pan on the burner while turned on is
40 volts
above ground. The rest of the stove metal seems to be at
ground.

The burners look in good shape but it's an old stove.
Burners
normally have ceramic insulation, right? Is it time to
replace them?