Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default angled finger joint? for beehive

Upscale wrote:
"krw" wrote in message
I suspect cedar is used for its natural weather resistance.

The question is, how well to Bees tolerate the smell and characteristics of
cedar? You should investigate that very closely before building what may
become just an unused box.

Traditionally hives are made of pine, painted white, are simply a square
box with finger joints. There is no "inner box", the inside is filled
with removable frames.

I think you could use any kind of joint you want, a simple butt joint
nailed would work fine I think, the bees glue everything together
anyway:-). A finger joint or dovetail joint is the joint I would use,
or I would use biscuits if I had them (I don't).

As for cedar wood, it is not necessary and I wouldn't use it unless I
knew the bees liked it, (my guess is they don't care) and does it flavor
the honey (my guess is it does)

Also, bees provide their own heating and air conditioning.
--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/