Posted to alt.home.repair
stan stan is offline

Default Drilling Hardy Plank Siding

On Jun 22, 9:57*pm, red wrote:
Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding?
I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. *Will I
need masonry bit to drill holes? * I know the manufacturer isn't keen
on installers using screws to hang the siding. *Does that apply to
"accessories" also? * I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended
for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find
studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy
hung.

Thanks,
Chris

It may also be that the siding needs to be able to move a little as it
heats up (expands) or cools down (contracts).
Screws into or through it might cause splitting/cracking and also
might void any warranty? May be best to check further.
A neighbour here had trouble with some Hardi-plank crumbling in our
(at times) damp climate. Hardie Plank provided some compensation under
warranty on basis that before sale the local retailer may have stored
it outside. Also advising that it should be installed and immediately
painted!