Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

Default angled finger joint? for beehive

On 6/22/2009 3:14 AM Adam Chapman spake thus:

On Jun 21, 9:31 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

One question: why, exactly, do the boxes have to have angled sides
like that? Is it a functional part of the design, or just an
esthetic one?

I suppose its just to look nice. I know the outer case has an air gap
from the inner cases containing the bees, to keep the hive warmer in
the winter. Im thinking it would be faster, easier to do something
like a biscuit joint. It'd also give me a better chance of leaving a
nice finish, as there would be no end grain showing. I'm making it
from pine since its cheap. A lot of people use cedar because of its
lighter weight but i don't intend to carry mine anywhere.

So if the angling doesn't have any function, just make standard
rectangular boxes. Don't try to use biscuits--they're not made for
things like this exposed to the elements; the boxes will eventually fall
apart. Just use the traditional finger joint--it's been proven down
through the ages.

[note post trimming]