Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking

Default angled finger joint? for beehive

On 6/20/2009 4:59 AM Bored Borg spake thus:

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 20:17:37 +0100, Adam Chapman wrote
(in article
):

I want to make this beehive
http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...ve-steve-moye/
, it's called a "WBC"hive if anyone wants to read about it.

Basically I have no idea how to make the finger joint at at angle like
that. Im sure i could work out the angles, but cant work out how
tomake it with a router.

I'm Xposting this to rec.woodworking for you 'cos there's some clever blokes
on there who might be able to come at this from a different direction and
sort you out properly

Meanwhile

I just took a look at the drawings on
http://www.beesource.com/files/10frwbci.pdf

As it stands there's NO way to cut the joints with a router because the cuts
would be parallelogram shaped. The cuts would have to be cut parallel with
each other but at an angle relative to the board edge

You _can_ do it by hand (well, I couldn't)
or
you can have one of the pairs of sides square to the other a
and running "normally square" - as in like a standard box joint - on the
square-cornered sides.

One question: why, exactly, do the boxes have to have angled sides like
that? Is it a functional part of the design, or just an esthetic one?

(Haven't checked out the documentation referred to, I'll admit, 'cos I
don't like downloading huge PDFs just for curiosity's sake.)