Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick Keats Dick Keats is offline

Default Pool replastering DIY how-to guides?

"scorpionleather" wrote in message
"Dick Keats" wrote in message
Permit me to alert you to something before you start.
I drained my 20' X 40' gunite a few years ago to make some repairs.
Well, it was July and I didn't move very fast to do the work.
In a matter of just a few days I had a number of "bubbles" that were 18"
or more in diameter.
If any pressure was applied to them they would break up.
Ended up getting PebbleTec ($$$).
In short, gunite has to be repaired within a day or two and filled with
water to avoid my problems.
Check with Dolphin or Leslie's before you drain.
Good luck to you.
Dick in Dallas

Were the bubbles from the plaster layer? I've had the pool drained for a
couple weeks so far and the gunite seems to be holding up pretty well. I
need to peel off any of the loose plaster anyway. The plaster is so old,
I don't think ours has been replastered for 30 years, so whatever could
wear off has pretty much worn off by now. The rest needs a chisel.

Yes...bubbles were from the plaster layer.
Some were about 36" or more in diameter.
I didn't trust myself enough to replaster all the bad areas.
Plus the "cool crete" decking was screwed up.
Except for financially, I'm glad I let the professionals do the job.
Dick