Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default R134a Thread size?

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 02:40:58 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Bruce L. Bergman writes:

They don't have to be "government approved".

The EPA via the Clean Air Act regulates what fittings can be used with what
refrigerants. Not the marketplace, not engineering standards, not the
convenience or expedience of you or me or the OP. I don't agree with the
despotism of the government, I'm just warning you. The law makes us all
criminals, even for things like cutting metal. The tender mercies of the
bureaucrats decide who is punished and who is given lenience.

The service fittings permanently installed on the vehicle or
stationary system, yes. If you do a conversion from R12 to R134a or
another refrigerant you have to change the fittings to the proper
style to avoid accidentally mixing refrigerants.

But not an adapter made so you can hook up your service manifold
hoses to the car or refrigerator being serviced, or hook up the hose
from your vacuum pump to your service manifold. They may be stupid
MF's working for the government, but they ain't THAT stupid.

Want to bet!

It's the mouth breathing politicians who wrote the impossible to
follow laws the bureaucrats are trying to (selectively) enforce who
*are* that stupid. Which is why politicians are like diapers - they
need to be changed often, and for the same reasons.

-- Bruce --

True, It is a shame that the Constitution was written by folks who felt
that serving in government was such a PIA that nobody would WANT to do
it. Term limits were not considered because of that.

I'd like to see term limits for ALL elected offices. Never going to
happen though.

--
Steve W.