Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default Disconnect Bell Box Battery

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 01:39:30 -0700 (PDT), RobertL wrote:

On Jun 9, 9:03*am, Toby wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

A quick alarm question...
Is it detrimental to disconnect the bell box internal battery in advance of
further system works?
I understand that with the battery disconnected, the alarm won't sound if
the cable to it is cut (maybe the internal sounder will be activated by the
loss of bell tamper, thinking about it).

The reason I am considering this is because I need to decommission the alarm
system for internal works early next week. *I don't like being up ladders in
wind or rain and the weather is looking unsettled over the next few days.
So I intended to disconnect the bell box battery when a suitable period of
calm weather occurred.

I don't believe that the bell box battery will suffer for a week or two of
disconnect time.

Any comments from the wise?

TIA

Phil

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do to me - if you have flashing LED's
on the bell box, one may stop because of the loss of the backup battery,
but other than that, as long as the bell box is in SAB mode, rather than
SCB mode (Self Contained Bell, where AFAIK the sounder always uses the
battery to sound) you can always test this by doing a bell test after
you disconnect the battery)

Unless there is a way to deactivate the tamper in the bell box that you
know of, you need to put your panel into engineering mode, then climb
ladder with ear defenders, open the bell box (which should sound when
you open it) then disconnect the battery (still sounding), then put the
cover back on (it should stop sounding now!)

If you omit the ear defenders, then prepare yourself for ringing ears
for quite a while afterwards...

prepare yoruself for deafness for ever i should think. These alarms
have a source level up to 105dB. So if you are 50cm from it you will
be exposed to a received level of about 111dB.

The threshold for hearing damage is round about 85dB.

Robert

85dBA (note the A) is the recommended maximum for contnuous exposure over
an eight hour period (although it may have recently been reduced), you can
take considerably more for short periods without damage. The A weighting
adjusts the multipliers for different frequencies to match the effect
across the frequency range upon the ear more accurately.

SteveW