Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis[_2_] Gareth Magennis[_2_] is offline

Default Pioneer PDM450 laser help

"Gary L. Woodruff" wrote in message
howdy, I have a pioneer PD-M450 Cd player that would not play disks. It
would load them but and the laser would go in try to focus but the disk
would never spin. I found the plastic lens had fallen out of the optical
assembly and would not stay in when replaced. I ordered a new optical
pickup and replaced the old one. I have the same problem. I have confirmed
that the spindle motor will run with 1.0 vdc supplied. I do not see any
voltage appear at the motor leads while the lens is trying to focus.
Please help, optical pickup was $$$$.

thanks, Gary

Did you remove the safety short on the pickup assembly? It is normally two
pads joined with a blob of solder you need to remove. This stops the
pickup being damaged by static, and should be removed once the pickup is in
place. The assembly will have no output with this short in place.

Gareth.