Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default smoking light bulbs

grodenhiATgmailDOTcom wrote:
We have two sconce lights on our wall. Each has a single light bulb
(the candleabra) style. I put the bulbs in a few years ago and have
never had an issue (the bulbs were within the wattage range for the
fixtures. The last two times the lights have been on for a few hours
the bulbs begin to emit a burning smell and small pufts of smoke is
coming off the bulbs. The fixture itself is still cool to the touch
(as is the part mounted the the wall). The bulbs have a filmy/sticky
feel to them now...

My assumption is my wife must have sprayed something near them and
whatever it is coated the bulbs and is burning off.... Sound
reasonable? She can't recall though. Any other reason two fixtures
that have worked flawlessly for several years (with the original bulbs
still in them) would suddenly have this issue? I have a TV on the
same circuit and its fine...

Take the bulbs out and wash them? That should solve any questions of
gunk on the glass heating up. (Do dry them before putting them back, of
course....) Only other place the Magic Smoke could be escaping from is
the insulation on the wires in the bulb base- it can be scorching and
outgassing even if the metal parts are cool to the touch. Flip the
breaker, take the fixtures down, and eyeball them outside in bright
light, looking where the wires enter fixture from box, and especially
where the wires enter the ceramic or plastic socket and are screwed or
soldered to the screw base. (You may have to partially disassemble them
to see that area.)

But I am not an electrician, so take this advice for what it is worth.
--
aem sends...