Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Cutting a cast iron waste pipe

On Sun, 31 May 2009 11:33:18 +0100, Peter wrote:

I am about to connect 4 inch waste from a new attic conversion to an
external cast iron one. Currently it rises to above roof level. Some
questions:-

As my angle grinder wont cut thro 4 inches should I cut twice ie make a
sort of inspection hole and hacksaw the back or is there an easier way.
(for direct connection at attic floor level)
Should I replace all to ground level or to existing 1st floor
connections.
Will new plastic fit inside old cast iron joints.

Many thanks

Peter

B&Q sell a deep hacksaw frame (cutting depth up to about 6") which will
accept standard 12" blades.It's not very good quality compared
with many normal sized frames but quite suitable for this
occasional job. Screwfix and many other places sell blades suitable for
cast iron. Using the correct blade cutting cast iron is really quite easy
provided that you take your time, and it's much cleaner than an angle
grinder which will emit a stream of hot dust.

If you consider using one of the ratchet type cutters (not really true
ratchet) be aware that they're quite heavy and can be difficult to use if
you haven't got a clear section of pipe to cut. A casting seam can cause
some difficulty.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door