Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Ideas for stabilizing a four poster bed?

On May 27, 1:37*pm, "
wrote:
bobmct wrote:
Slightly O.T. but still within the realm of a home...

We have an old four poster bed that wiggles a lot. *It appears that
where the side rails fit into the posts (metal hooks that hang over
steel pins in the post slot) it has become sloppy over time.

I thought I saw a long time ago that there are shims or metal springs
that can be wedged into the slots to help squeeze the hooks when
inserted.

If anyone is aware please advise as best you can. *Also, if anyone has
any ideas, other than carpenter's glue, please share because I cannot
be the only one with this situation?

I will be eagerly awaiting all answers. *Thanks

I have an old four-poster that has slats across from frame to frame to
hold the spring and mattress. *Seems to me that if you have the same
set-up, cutting some new boards that fit tightly would solve the problem.- Hide quoted text -

How would the bed slats under the mattress stop the bed from rocking
back and forth?

You could screw a sheet of plywood to the rails with a thousand screws
but if the connection between the rails and head/foot boards is loose,
the bed is going to wiggle.