Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is under the vinyl flooring?

On Wed, 20 May 2009 08:20:01 +0100, Bob Mannix wrote:

I would have thought the possibility of seepage was remote after 25
years - the bitumen will be rock hard and dry by now.

Until the plasticisers in the new vinyl leach out into the bitumen. B-)

If the marley tiles are in good nick no bits missing along the tile edges
and no gaps bewteen them I'd be tempted just to lay the vinly (roll?)
straight on to them. It is a sound smooth floor after all...

If the marley tiles are not in good enough condition I'd investigate how
they are fixed. Bitumen would be a right PITA and would need sealing
somehow, you won't get all of it out of the substrate it is on. A self
leveling screed of some sort would be my prefered option making sure the
maker said that bitumen won't leach through. Anna might be lucky and find
them fixed with "Evo Stick" or even self adhesive. Evo Stick would be a
PITA to remove and may still require a screed or other covering to get a
smooth floor for the vinyl but at least it doesn't leach.

--
Cheers
Dave.