Posted to alt.home.repair
Peter[_14_] Peter[_14_] is offline

Default Siphon Jet clogged? - Toilet

jcseely wrote:
Hello,

Last night our toilet suddenly stopped emptying the bowl upon flushing. If
I pour several gallons down the bowl from a jug it will empty just fine,
so it's not a drain clog. I checked all the siphon holes around the rim
and they are all fine. Also, this happened overnight rather than a slow
buildup, so I seem to be left with the conclusion that something must have
fallen into the siphon jet somehow and gotten trapped in there.

Is that an accurate assumption? If so, what would be the solution to
remove the object? I already fished around inside the siphon jet hole with
a coat hanger to no avail.

My wife says she's not missing any jewelry, so I can't for the life of me
figure out what might be in there! =P

Did you take the lid off the tank and make sure that the thin rubber hose that
enables water to pour into the overflow pipe when you flush has not become
disconnected at the base of the flush valve assembly, or that the clamp holding
the rigid U arm directing the water from the thin rubber hose into the overflow
pipe did not fall off the edge of the overflow pipe? I've had both situations
happen and it leads to a major loss of flush strength.