Posted to rec.woodworking
PDQ PDQ is offline

Default Drawer stops

In ng.com,
Jim In FL dropped this bit of wisdom:
I'm thinking of building (by her request actually) my wife a
chest/bureau type piece for our second bedroom. It's general storage,
and not used (open/closed) much. I thought I'd seize the opportunity
to try some things I haven't done before. I'd like to make a real
nice piece of furniture, similar to a cherry dining room sideboard
type thing I remember from my childhood. All wood, frame/panel dust
panels, INSET doors/drawers. (Might even try my first beaded face
frame - don't know if I want to get that nervy with inset doors
though.)

This will be about 16-18" deep, 46-48 long, 42 high. I don't want to
use metal drawer guides - which finally brings me to my question.
I've searched all over and picked up a lot of tips on integrating the
structures that will support and guide the drawers in and out, and
the kickers for tipping, etc. But for some reason everything I've
found is very vague about stopping the drawers, both going in, and
coming out, and the ability to remove them. My thought is that there
should be accepted, common methods to do this (many probably, some
better than others) and since I'm starting with a blank slate, I can
take this opportunity to do it right and learn some new stuff.

Open to all suggestions. Thanks for reading and extra thanks if
you've got something for me !

Jim in FL

(Totally unrelated but had to tell someone - I just made up my mind
- I'm going to buy a Domino. Been thinking about it forever to the
point where every project I do I think "well I could have done it
THIS way if I had a Domino")

Funny thing you should mention:

See "A Few Wooden Drawer Slide Details" on Page 3 of the "Project Journal" on the website www.e-woodshop.net .

This doesn't do much for stopping the drawer (one line about a "button"), but it does a fine job of illustrating a dovetail slide.

This site is by another wreck denizen, but I canjnot remember just who.

P D Q