Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default refrigerator not cooling, compressor too hot?

George wrote:
We have an old (c 1980) GE 'Frost Free' fridge (freezer-on-top). Both
the freezer and the fresh-food areas cool down only to about 50F. The
evaporator fan runs, and seems OK. The evaporator coils are 'cool', but
not so cold it hurts to touch them. The defrost heater is not on.

The compressor runs, but shuts off after less than 10 mins. The
compressor is quite hot - you can touch it, but it would burn, if you
applied pressure. (The compressor fan is running, but shuts off along
with the compressor.)

Questions:
- Is that too hot for a compressor? IIRC, my father used to say that a
motor that you couldn't touch was too hot. Even if true, does the same
apply to compressors?

- Would they have a 'self-resetting' temperature cutout on the
compressor, where it would keep recyling after cooling down?

- Any other reasons why the compressor would shut off, when the freezer
is nowhere near the setpoint temp?

Thanks,
George

Hi,
Check 3 things; defrost timer/contacts, air circulating fan inside, then
low refrigerant charge. If left like that compressor may burn up.