Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterK[_3_] PeterK[_3_] is offline

Default Tiling on particle board

"Gib Bogle" wrote in message
We are planning to replace the tiling on the bathroom floor in our house.
The particle board floor has already suffered a bit of water damage in one
spot (this I have attended to with a two-pot epoxy sealer, which has
soaked right in and made that patch very strong) therefore I intend to
make sure that the whole surface is properly prepared before laying the
new tiles. I could use the two-pot treatment, but it would turn out quite
expensive. I'd be grateful for suggestions about the most suitable type
of product to use for this purpose. Thanks.

One advertised solution is something that sounds/spells like "no more ply"
AFAIK it is 6mm cement fibre board in 2'x3' sheets that are fixed with
polyurethane glue and screws and cost £10? /sheet.
I wonder if its the same as "RCM Multipupose fibre cement board - A high
performance cellulose fibre cement sheet which can be used in an extensive
range of application both internally and externally. Key Benefits: Excellent
weathering properties, high tensile strength, high MoE, smooth finish for
paint, excellent acoustic
performance. A very strong versatile board." A 6mm 8x4 sheet being £15 on
their price list at
http://www.rcmltd.biz/RCM%20Price%20...Jan%202009.pdf. This board
should address water issues but also glued & screwed should add significant
rigidity to a chipboard floor.

Peterk