Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Wood fence post coated with tar?

MiamiCuse wrote:
I had a wood fence built last year, the code calls for 4x4 PT posts
embedded in concrete 12" deep, which is what I did. I have always
wondered how long this PT post would last in the hot and humid Miami
sun and rain.
A few days ago I drove by a house where they just had a new wood
fence up. I noticed the bottom of the fence post where it meets the
ground all of the post had been painted with something black with the
consistency and texture of tar. I am pretty sure this is something
done to prevent the post from getting in contact of water. Wish I
had thought of that, and curious if this is a common procedure. I
hope my posts will give me at least 5 years before I have to do it
all over again.
MC

Somehow I doubt it would do much good and was probably done to impress the
fence installer's client. Tar coating the wood would do little to prevent
water from eventually soaking the bottom of the post and little to prevent
decay. Once water got into the wood the tar probably would slow down the
wicking away of the water during dry periods enhancing rot. If it isn't a
substance that soaks deep into the wood and also kills the rot fungus it
will do little else.