Posted to alt.home.repair
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default Wood fence post coated with tar?

Before I planted my fence posts, I coated the bottom of the posts with that
tar-like black stuff that you can coat driveways with. Driveway sealer of
some sort, black, tar-based. I don't really know what if any difference it
will make. I bought mine in a 5 gallon bucket at Home Depot for somewhere
around $20 or so.

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
I had a wood fence built last year, the code calls for 4x4 PT posts
embedded in concrete 12" deep, which is what I did. I have always wondered
how long this PT post would last in the hot and humid Miami sun and rain.

A few days ago I drove by a house where they just had a new wood fence up.
I noticed the bottom of the fence post where it meets the ground all of
the post had been painted with something black with the consistency and
texture of tar. I am pretty sure this is something done to prevent the
post from getting in contact of water. Wish I had thought of that, and
curious if this is a common procedure. I hope my posts will give me at
least 5 years before I have to do it all over again.

MC