Posted to rec.woodworking
MikeWhy MikeWhy is offline

Default Best Place for Dust Port on Bandsaw?

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
I want to put a dust port on this wonderful Jet JBS-14mw.

Where's the best place to put a dust port?
I know I can look at pictures of other saws, but sometimes the wrong
engineers decide that. Like the guy responsible for making sure the case
can be stamped out in one pressing decides the port should be moved from
the most efficient location to a horrible spot.

My first clue is the pile of sawdust right underneath where the blade is
doing it's cutting. This thing doesn't "seal up" at all when the doors
close, so I don't think I can reply on vacuum pressure inside the
machine to move the dust very far. (Yeah, sounds like I answered my own
question, I know.)

The dust port on my Delta is right under the lower guides. It's an older BS,
'97 or so, a previous generation of build and features. It gets I'd say 90%
or better of the dust with a small shop vac. The DC pulls too much air
through the 1" port, making ti shriek and howl. Without the shop vac, the
air in the whole area looks to reach combustible levels of dust. Who
would've thought it? The other place I would consider is the opposite
"corner" of the bottom wheel guard, at the bottom rear by the hinge. It
should pull enough air past the lower guides to sweep the dust toward
itself, and also catch whatever made it past. Come to think of it, I think
I'll "fix" mine by putting a 2 1/2" port there.