Posted to uk.d-i-y
Calvin Sambrook Calvin Sambrook is offline

Default Wiring a PIR

"Harry Stottle" wrote in message

"Thomarse" wrote in message
Hi,

I have put up an external light and a standard switch. I've bought a
PIR and want to wire it up so that either the PIR or the standard
switch can switch the light on.

The PIR wires are Brown Blue and Red, but I am not sure how to wire
this in. The wiring diagram states the following:

Brown - to Input
Blue (N) - to nothing
Red (O) - connecting with load

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

I would guess at Brown being Live, Blue being Neutral, (incoming from the
mains), and Red being the switched feed to the lamp. Both brown and blue
would need to be connected to the PIR for it to work. You would also need
a separate neutral at the lamp, along with the switched red for the lamp
to work, and probably an earth wire if required. For a separate switch to
bypass the PIR, you would need to connect a wire from the brown on the PIR
to one side of the switch, then a wire from the other side of the switch
to the red wire connector on the PIR, then with the switch in the on
position the lamp would be on irrespective of the PIR, and with the switch
in the off position, the PIR would operate normally.

Careful, it could well be one of those which uses the load as a neutral.
That would be consistent with the instruction to connect nothing to the
blue.

OP, what is the make and model?