Posted to alt.home.repair
scorpster scorpster is offline

Default Floating neutral or wiring problem?

"RBM" wrote in message
If you test between the two hot legs, you should get 240 volts. If you
test from each hot leg to neutral, you should get 120 volts. If you got
120 volts between the two hot legs, you have a dead leg. You need the
check the breaker or fuses feeding that sub panel

All the 15A circuit fuses in the main panel check out ok when I test-replace
them with a new fuse. I get 0.2 Ohms on the large 100A, and 40A fuses so
they're fine too. So now I'm thinking maybe it's not a floating neutral,
but rather it could be a dead leg on the phone pole? Maybe one of the hot
legs could have broken on the phone pole from the swaying tree branches just
like the neutral line connector broke last year.. would that be consistent
with these symptoms?