Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car boot light

Clot wrote on 15/02/2009 :
asalcedo wrote:
The light in the boot of my car does not light up.

I have checked the bulb and it is fine.

I have checked the voltage at the bulb holder without the bulb and
with the ignition key turned on and it is 12V

However, when I put the bulb in the holder it does not light up and
the voltage is 0, even with the ignition key turned on.

Turning the ignition on is not usually necessary to get the boot light
on. There are two places the boot light switch can be fitted in the
circuit - either in the 12v feed to the light, or between light and
ground. Working out which way it is wired and where the switch is, is
the starting point.

If there is 12v at the lamp socket when no lamp is installed, but the
12v disappears when a lamp is fitted - it might indicate there is high
resistance at the boot switch and that the boot switch is wired in the
12v supply to the lamp. There are lots of other possibilities though,
far too many to list.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)