Posted to rec.woodworking
James[_14_] James[_14_] is offline

Default Woodriver Lathe Chuck

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Ok -

I have both wood and metal lathes. Metal Mill etc.
Both lathes have 3 & 4 jaw. The wood also has a nice wood chuck
that is a 4 step jaw ... type.

3 jaw is a fast self centering chuck. A universal concept.

A 4 jaw can be magic! You don't have a true cylinder to chuck ?!
A 4 jaw can hold lots of stuff and even hold it to the an offset
because of need instead of kicking the taillstock sideways.

So a 4 can hold odd shape - and have jaws at unique positions.
In fact one can use only 3 jaws in the 4 having one so far from
the wood it can't get there.

Depends on the need -

Martin

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:21:48 -0600, James wrote:

Hi Group, Can anyone tell me who makes the Woodriver lathe chuck?
I need to contact them. I would like to know what the threads are
on their adapters because I've acquired a three jaw chuck and
need to convert it. Thanks, Jim

While I've never used one, the horror stories I've heard about 3
jaw chucks make me wonder why you want one. Is there some
specific use for which a 3 jaw chuck is better than a 4 jaw?

If not, I'd suggest just getting the Wood River chuck. I've got
one and it works fine. The only limitation is that there aren't
many different jaw sets for it. It comes with #2. AFAIK, a #1, a
#3, and a small Cole jaw set with 8" capacity are it.

I did e-mail Woodcrafters and the adapter is a 33mm X 3.5 pitch thread.
I'm having a machinist made me an adapter that is 3/4"x16tpi (may lathe
spindle) to 1"x12tpi( the chuck) which was cheaper in the long run. I
will be using it to bore holes and turn small wood parts. The price was
right is why I got it. Jim