Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Want to replace wood floors but don't have a subfloor. Do I needone?

On Feb 9, 7:21*pm, Dairy Godmother wrote:
HI group,

I bought a house built in 1925 which has oak floors. *They are not in
the best shape, with cracks and weak spots (funny the home inspection
didnt really call it out as a problem). *Additionally, it has been
refinished as many times as it can take so we are going to replace
it. *There is no subfloor, however. *My question is: *could you have
the new floor installed right on top of the old floor (making it
become the subfloor) or would you just have both installed brand new?
Or just a new floor without a subfloor?

This is for two rooms on the ground floor that is over a basement.
Currently we hear the boiler and see through cracks, so I'd like
something very sound and as sealed as possible. *Not married to any
particular type of wood so if one type is better I'd love to hear
about that too.

Thanks in advance to this very generous group!

Get a pro out to tell you if it has been resanded to many times a bid
a fix of issues. But it probably hasnt been sanded to thin. If joists
are weak, sister on another one, if a few planks are week I braced
mine underneath with plywood. Old floors were thick, mine are 3/4 oak
with no subfloor and can take many sandings. You can go over the old
one but you will save thousands by keeping what you have. A weak plank
may have a hidden knot underneath, so support it from underneath. A
good sanding and 3-6 coats, a few repairs, and it will be great.