Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default need a replacement float for fuel oil tank gauge

my float on my antique oil tank gauge has become cracked so it no
longer floats on the surface. I'd like to replace it because the gauge
still works great - giving me a very accurate read -by number - for
how much fuel is left in the tank, as opposed to just telling me if I
have 3/4, 1/2, 1/4 tank etc. I can't seem to find anything online
specifically used for this purpose. Can anyone think of something else
I can hook onto the end of this wire that is heavy enough to pull the
cord out of the gauge yet light enough to float on top of the oil?