Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default aldi cement mixer?

In article ,
"george (dicegeorge)" writes:

Phil L wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Is the aldi cement mixer at £99 a good buy?

I want to mix some plaster for wall draughtproofing,
and some lime mortar for pointing some bits of walls
over the coming months and years...

[g]

unless you are building something substansial, like an extension or a long
garden wall, I wouldn't waste your money.

You can't mix plaster in - it's for mortar and concrete only, also, it's a
PITA to find somewhere to put it when it's not in use.

you can hire them for a few quid a week.

why cant i mix plaster in it?

I suspect you'd find it's not designed to mix at the right speed
(probably too slow), and it would take too long to clean it out
between mixings (plaster mixing implements have to be thoroughly
cleaned between each mixing). I just can't imagine it mixing
plaster to a smooth lump-free consistancy, but I've never tried.
I suspect a cement mixer actually relies a lot on the heavy
ballast to help with the mixing (i.e. the sand or gravel in the
mortar or cement) which isn't in plaster.

You mix gypsom plaster in a bucket with a powered plaster strirrer
(or with a stick if you're fit and not mixing it up all day long).
You could mix a sand and cement render in a cement mixer.

--
Andrew Gabriel