Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Howdens and IKEA kitchens

sm_jamieson wrote:

On 1 Feb, 18:59, (A.Lee) wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:
The builder who's working for us at the moment looked very scornful at
the idea of IKEA kitchens, and said that Howdens - a trade-only supplier
he uses - make much better quality kitchen units.

I've been fitting a Howdens kitchen this week.
No problem at all with the units and fittings, and at a reasonable
price.

Howdens say they only supply to "trade professionals".

I can see they want to avoid DIY plonkers, and I guess they are sold
without consumer rights etc ?

Probably, never looked into it. You have a Contract with the fitter, so
as a Consumer, it shouldnt be a problem to you.
They are set up for Trade only, they dont want to be answering numerous
queries from 'private' customers. They like it when you go in, say
hello, give them a list of part numbers, you go and load up. They just
dont have time to get 6 types of handles out to compare them on the 5
different shades of Oak door they have - they are cheaper as they dont
do that, they'll sell me 5 different small doors, and the 6 handles, and
I'll have to show the customer.

Anyone know what I can blag / fiddle etc. to get howdens to supply me
a kitchen (and plan it ??)
I do my own building regs drawings, bricklaying etc. How can I become
a "trade professional" ?

You open a Trade Account with them. Pretty easy, go in, tell them you
are a jobbing builder/carpenter, and you can open an account within a
few weeks. They will require evidence of your work - a business
card/letterhead etc, or turn up in your sign written van.

Or, are howdens not worth it ?

They keep a lot in stock, no need to pay for a Month, they generally get
anything in the next day if not in stock. So, yes, in the Trade, they
are worth it. For a one-off purchase, probably not, as B+Q et al are
easier to buy a one-off from.

If I got one and had problems, how is this dealt with as a non-
consumer ?

You go in tell them the fault, they give you a new one.Never had a
problem yet - we broke a screw in a door handle this week,ruining the
handle. Went in the next day to buy a new handle, mentioned that we had
snapped the screw, got given it FOC.
Alan.