Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Wayne-Dalton does the right thing: Was: Wayne-Dalton iDrive garage door opener

Actually the salesman (it was the same guy who sold me the unit 5 years ago)
told me that they had made dozens of improvements. They are also coming out
with a slightly more powerful unit that integrates with their wireless
control system. In any case the new units have been working fine for me but
I would want Wayne Dalton to install it. I would not dare do it my self.
And as I said two units needed a synchronization fix of the gears because
the locking arm was coming down at the wrong time as delivered by the
factory. By the way the motor is in the moving arm.

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Although ours was purchased only about three years ago, it was in fact a
5-yr old one, according to the Date of Manufacture label: 0903.

I know that at some point during those two years they changed the
light-activation mechanism from infra-red to radio-frequency. Also the
wall-mounted control gained some new features: e.g., the lock-out switch.

Perhaps during those five years they have made mechanical improvements as
well and the replacement will last us for many years.

Perce

On 01/09/09 11:28 pm Art wrote:

I had a IDrive installed in my parent's home 5 years ago with an IDrive
door
and it works well still. Just had 3 installed in my garage. 2 needed a
special adjustment because the factory hadn't matched the gears right but
so
far all a working well and are significantly improved over the 5 year old
one. In particular I like the way it slows down just as the door closes
so
it closes it gently.

We have had a Wayne-Dalton "iDrive for torsion springs" opener for a
little over three years. We had problems with it initially, but W-D
sent a replacement controller board and light unit.

Other than the unit having forgotten its settings a couple of times
and having to be "re-trained," it's worked OK.

Right before Christmas it started giving trouble, first merely
buzzing
without moving the door, later starting to move the door but then
making a "ratcheting" noise without moving the door any further.

snip

I managed to get in touch again with the company that was in the midst
of
a merger/takeover when I called before, told my story, and within 10
minutes got a call back to say that W-D was shipping them a complete new
iDrive for me.