Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Tile choices over linoleum and/or plywood.

On Jan 9, 10:23*am, "RonABC" wrote:
I want to put down a new kitchen floor in a property that I recently bought
and that I will be renting out.

For now, I just want to do something that will make it look good without
having to re-do the whole kitchen. *I may re-do the kitchen at a later date.
What is there now is a very solid piece of linoleum that is probably glued
down over 1/4-inch plywood or Luan. *I haven't tried peeling up the linoleum
yet, and I am avoiding doing that for now in case one option will be to just
tile over the existing linoleum.

I'm thinking my first option would be to clean the linoleum well and just
put peel-and-stick tiles over the linoleum for now. *If peel-and-stick is
not a good idea, my second option would be putting some other type of vinyl
tiles over the linoleum using a mastic adhesive. *Or, if for mastic it would
be better to try taking up the linoleum and use the mastic for the new tiles
over what is left underneath, that would be my third option. *A fourth
option would be to put a sheet of linoleum/congoleum down on top of the
existing linoleum.

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding any of these options would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

P.S. *I like ceramic tile, and I would do that if I it didn't involve having
to take up the existing plywood or Luan underlayment. *But, from everything
I've read here and elsewhere, I don't think ceramic tile over anything that
is there now would work even though the existing linoleum is very solid.

I got a fairly decent peel and stick at HD, but it needed a primer and
roller is mandatory. It has a 2 part glue that a heavy roller opens
the seal so it bonds well. You have options