Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hat@uark.edu is offline

Default Cutting / measuring odd angles for miter cuts

On Jan 7, 9:17*am, Vic wrote:
Hoping someone can give me a tip about how to get good cuts for
quarter round molding where the angle is greater than 90 degrees. With
a normal corner I have no problem cutting the 45 degree angles but I
have a wall that has a bend/corner which is more like 135 degrees
(just guessing). What is the best technique to get a good miter cut
for quarter round in that corner. I have never used a coping saw so
I'm hoping there is a simpler way to measure the angle and make the
cuts with a miter saw.

Thanks for any advice!

Vic

Here is a suggesstion that works: Half of your corner angle is 135/2
= 67-1/2. Use a 1x4 scrap piece of wood and a mitre saw to shape a
right traingle jig with a 22-1/2 degree angle (meaning the triangle
will have one 90-degree angle, one 22-1/2 angle, and, of course, one
67-1/2 angle). Next, place the jig against the mitre guide with the
22-/12 angle butting at the blade slot, set the blade at zero, and
prop the1/4 round against the jig. Viola! You have a 67-1/2 mitered
angle. If the corner is not exactly 135 degrees, you may want to
adjust the angles of the triangle until you end up with a good fit.
Alternatively, you can go to HD and buy a protractor that will allow
you to mitre any angle. HTH