Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Electric fence "Electric Shepherd" ESB 250

Baron wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:

Well I would not have believed it unless personally witnessed.
As the o/c must be on the outer layer of the transformer, I stripped
off the cloth tape. There is indication that damp air has got in this
unit but not flooding or internal drips. But in the middle of this
outer layer, with no sign of corrosion or damp under the tape ,
generally, there is one spot of blue green corrossion and a small
break in the 0.9mm wire. Maybe a spot of acidic something at that
point on assembly and then years of damp air.

I have seen that type of failure in several instances, not just on
transformer windings ! PCB traces as well. I belive that acid flux has
been used locally and spattered during soldering. Possibly onto the
tape and then transfered to the wire.

Bridging the break gives
resistance of the winding of about 0.2 ohm.
Powering on a variac, could not take higher than 150V (saturating) so
assuming it is 110V transformer ( or problem on the original pimary )
output read 4.7V ac , no load, for 110V ac input.

I'm a little surprised that it could be a 110V Txf... Or is it a unit
made in the USA ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Best Regards:
Baron.

Back working with proper bridged repair, new neons etc . I'm asuming 8KV (it
is actually mentioned on the label) , at least it fires a neon via 100M ,
(0.1G ) dropper, I will dig out EHT divider today. The casing screws mayvbe
UNC which may indicate USA but label has UK address. Electric Shepherd
printed on the PCBs

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England