Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Electric fence "Electric Shepherd" ESB 250

Baron wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:

Before wasting time on this, de-rivetting the step up transformer
mounting etc.
Input side measures 5Mohm, HV output side 12.7R, but looks like a
standard mains transformer.
Would this be a purpose wound transformer or an off the shelf mains
transformer that could be replaced with similar, if so what sort of
voltages and which way round ?

In the ones I built I used a standard car ignition coil ! 12 volt
battery and 1 pulse per second into it !

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

As I cannot see how the high current side of a mains transformer could fail
I drilled out the rivets.
If originally a mains transformer, looks like one , it had primary 0.4mm
wire and secondary 0.9mm wire. 0.9mm wire has failed .
For a , by size , 50W transformer I make that 24V, 2 amp if for a 240V
transformer.
Vs = (Vp/2) * (Dp/Ds)^2 , Is = P / Vs
Fence output voltage not stated on the label. 9 seriesed 0.22 nF (no V
stated) across the output and also 4.7K, 1W dropper to 2 seriously blackened
neons in series - any guesses what that indicates as an idea of o/p voltage
?
No obvious visible reason for failure of 0.9mm wire, I would expect the
0.4mm wire to fail.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England