Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Sump pump - help with drainage in winter?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 06:07:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I doubt you want to redo your entire discharge line but perhaps you
could use the idea behind that "IceGuard" or even my modification of it,
using some kind of "wye", to give the water a place to go, other than
your basement, but ONLY IF the line freezes.- Hide quoted text -

Good info on the anti-freeze widget. Never saw one before. The key

The builder in my n'hood did the same thing but for free. They have a
2 inch plastic pipe coming out of the house about 5 inches, and that
water discharges into the 4" corrugated flexible black tubing, that is
goes down to the ground and is buried. All the water goes down the
tube normally but if it ever froze or clogged the water would just
come out at the connection. The corrugated tubing has stayed in place
for decades because of the moderate stiffness of the tubing and its
tendency is to stay straight or bend as little as possible, but I
could pull it off if I tried.

This also provides an air break so that the little bit of water at the
bottom of the sump won't be siphoned out,
to Lee
s problem is in what he didn't tell us. Which is how the area is
graded and how high a drain can exit from the house. The solution is
to use gravity to empty the pipe after it exists, possible combined
with the anti-freeze widget.