Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Static Sound in Radio Volume Control

Michael wrote in message
Over time, the volume controls of all my clock radios always develop a

loud
static sound whenever I adjust the volume. Is there a remedy for this?
--
Thanks,
Michael

Desolder the pot or sometimes enough access to to
do the following without desoldering
Mark with felt tip
the relative positions of the sub parts, bend out
the retaining flaps of the casing metal with a small
screwdriver.
Dismantle the pot down to the carbon track clean/degrease.
Where the track is not too bad , just worn in arcs.
Bend, out or in whichever shows most fresh track, the wiper
blade/blades to use a different
part of track. If the wiper support can be wedged
away from the track then bend the wiper to give more
contact force. If the rivets have slackened on the
paxolin then squash with an old pair of basic red/blue/yellow single
action crimp pliers. To get to the wiper rivet
grind down the the interfering bulges a bit between the
red and blue sections.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England