Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vacuum cleaner motor reversal?

Phil L wrote on 17/12/2008 :
connect live to
neutral and netral to live, it spins in the opposite direction, although I've
not tried it.

Doing that will make nil difference to the direction. Only swapping one
of either the field coils or brush connections will change the motors
direction.

Even if you get the motor spinning backwards, many of the designs seem
to be a semi centrifugal design compressor, so it will probably not
make much difference to the air flow direction.

My idea is to make a minature blowing machine of some kind, for various jobs
and just for ****ing about with, so if I reverse the connections around in
the motor, will it do as I want and start blowing or will it just blow up? -

They do already blow, at the opposite end to the end they suck. Could
you perhaps modify the output end to accept a pipe?

I'm not too bothered if it does the latter as I've got quite a few, also, do
I need to make this connection at the motor end or can I just reverse the
wires in the plug?

Or is it a non starter?

TIA

--