Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] aribert@c3net.net is offline

Default re-arching leaf springs

I have a couple of cars that need to have their leaf springs re-
arched. One web site mentioned that the process that they use is to
anneal, reform, quench and temper: http://www.eatonsprings.com/rearching.htm.

I have had leaf packs re-arched in the past and the leaves did not
show any signs of having been heated so I suspect that they only cold
formed them. I have looked a several web sites that mentioned
supporting the leaf between two stanchions and beating on the leaf
with a 2 lb or similar hammer. I have acquired a hydraulic press and
am thinking of doing the following: dismantle spring asm, make a
template of the current arch and what I want, gently bend each leaf,
working the entire length of the leaf till it has the desired form.
Spring would be constrained between the posts of the hydraulic press
so that the leaf could not fly away on me. Look at eh bottom of this
page at the picture of the “Mart-o-Matic (someone named Mart best as I
can tell) – I would do similar with my press.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...t=32681&page=2 I
am trying to not spend monies that I do not have to in this "near
Depression".

Your thoughts?