Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror,

Why not? because it is a "spider" with thin webs, so there isn't enough area
presented?

In my experience, glue repairs on car mirrors seldom work for long. You
might stand a better chance if you can take off the forward facing "fairing"
and apply epoxy from the back of the mirror to bond the glass to the holder
/ carrier. Or genuine Duck tape (which is stronger and more durable than the
cheap clones).

You may find perfectly adequate clone mirrors on eBay at about a third of
the main dealer price. This is what I did after repeated failed repairs on
an Astra.

so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.

Unfortunately that's true of most thermoplastics. Brittle probably just
implies it contains a lot of filler.

So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)
Thanks,
Simon.