Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default screws or nails for osb sheathing

On Nov 26, 9:00*am, RedDwarf wrote:
hi folks, in a follow up to my shed building woes...
i'm building a 10x15 shed outside. 2x4 walls, 16in on center...
ready to start sheathing (osb, was planning on doing 1/2in) do i nail
or screw sheathing in? I have a nail gun, but part of me thinks it
should be screwed in... what kind of screws if so?

Thanks!

My choice would be nails. Screws will tend to break out the back of
the OSB on the way in and won't snug down tight to the studs. This can
be avoided , if necessary by predrilling the holes and using an impact
driver with Torx head screws. For nails, the studs should be straight
and plumb. Ring shank nails are the choice these days on many building
sites. HTH

Joe