Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Low voltage wire/cable suspended lighting

In article , Nick
wrote:
Hello. I'm wanting to illuminate a large dark gloomy old room. 17th
century, low ceiling with exposed beams. Very little natural light. I
am thinking that something like this
http://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/l-v...c-70-rn-0.html could be
suspended between the beams and be almost invisible when in use.

I know little of the subject and would much appreciate any pointers or
comments. The items in the above link seem somewhat expensive for the
area I would like to illuminate. Would require probably 4 runs with 3
or 4 lamps on each run when combined with wall lights and other free
standing lighting. Also, could the transformers be hidden tween
ceiling/upstairs floor (6"/150mm gap) and would this present any fire
hazard?

All the transformers I've seen are as fireproof as any such thing.

I presume I could use 6mm stranded steel cable with proprietory lamps
and fixings.

I've got something similar in my conservatory which came as a kit from one
of the sheds. The cable is copper - not steel - as it doubles as the
conductors. The fittings are specials as their supports need to pierce the
insulation.

How do I calculate the size and type of transformer
required. Line lengths can easily be calculated. The number of lamps &
wattage etc. is not so simple Sorry, this is very vague and I am
literally stabbing in the dark. Any pertinent comments would be much
appreciated.

Transformers are usually specified in VA. For a resistive load like a lamp
this is the same as watts - so just add the wattage of the lamps together.
But with low voltage lamps you also have to worry about the cable losses.

Here is a calculator:-

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...ltageDrop.html

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.