Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] pjh1@tesco.net is offline

Default Bosch washing machine burned out capacitor and transformer...

Franc; Thanks for responding.

No, there are no visual clues to suggest that it thinks it is in the
rinse cycle. In fact, it shows a constant "1 minute remaining" of the
wash cycle. The wash cycle never actually finishes - that 1 minute
lasts longer than I can!

I've been pondering these things and I'm a bit stuck as to what the
problem really is.

I've not re-checked the circuit as I have put it all back together so
I can still wash things but...

The machine is mostly working so the power supply to the controller
must be fine
Though why I would have a 400V capacitor (actually 22uF) after the
rectifier in a supply for a controller (say 5 to 24v) is a bit
puzzling
(I know - I really must look at the circuit again)

Also, I now believe that the transformer is a pulse transformer for
controlling the motor through a triac though, I reiterate, I have not
checked the circuit. But, if it is controlling the motor, thats
working fine so it can't be that either.

Something I forgot to mention was that it looked like the circuit
board had burned a bit along the track that joins the transformer to
the triac (?) but I'm not too sure if that has caused the problem
either.

I'm wondering whether I should just change the capacitor and look for
alternative reasons for the failure to switch to the rinse cycle.
Is this capcacitor likely to be a non-polarised version or just a
plain electrolytic?

I know what you mean about a photo - when I next have it apart I might
post one somewhere - not too sure where but I'll find somewhere I'm
sure.

Now, does anyone know a resonably priced source of 400V 22uF
electrolysic capacitors? :-)