Posted to uk.d-i-y
Unbeliever Unbeliever is offline

Default Converting normal door to be a sliding door?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
dmc wrote:
Now the new boiler and store is in place, I've ripped out the huge
double airing cupboard and now have to sort out the room to be a
useful bedroom.

We've ordered a HiSleeper (bed on big legs - big *expensive* legs
:-/) and while measuring up today the thought of converting the door
to be a sliding door crossed my mind...

I was pondering changing the way the door is hung so that it opened
outwards but that isn't great as it's at the top of the stairs -
recipe for disaster.

Looking at screwfix they appear to have a "kit" for 25 quid or so -
anyone know if it's any good at all? If it's crap, is there a better,
more expensive solution? Or should I just forget the idea as sliding
doors are all just
crap?

I've installed 3 of those SF kits and they do what they say on the
tin. Nothing wrong with the kit & the sliding gear, but they look
like crap IMO.

That's normal - ugly things.

You would need to build a pelmet to cover the sliding gear and build
out the door frame to cover the gap when the door closes.

Again, you would normally cover an aftermaket sliding door gear with a
pelmet.

Also, you can't really lock a sliding door.

Yes you can if you adapt the frame by planting a piece on the edge to cover
the door edge.

See:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P..._Budget_Locks/

to get an idea of the hook lock - you can get a better quality that can be
fitted in an existing mortice latch housing with some adjustment and utilise
a set of mortice lock handles.

The kit works, getting it to look good is a right PITA.

That's normal.

Cash