Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Easy way to find joists above a lath and plaster ceiling?

wrote in message
I'm putting up timber stud partitions, and need to screw several top
plates into the loft joists in a lath and plaster ceiling (working
around various exposed features).

For a bunch of reasons, access from above is not so easy (not
impossible, just awkward).

My stud detector just bleeps everywhere (because of the laths and
nails).

The only thing I can think off is to drill a few test holes with a
fine drill (e.g 3mm) until I hit a loft joist. I reckon I could end up
doing a few of those for each fixing point, as the loft joists are not
very accurately spaced (Victorian building).

Anyone have any tips to make the job easier?

Where I have to fix top plates parallel to the loft joists (and no
doubt not directly underneath one) - I'm thinking to fix noggins above
(fortunately these will be in a more accessible area), and then use
120-130mm screws to be sure to bite into the loft joists.

Any other recommended solutions?

Do you know which way the joist are running? Those old ceilings have latte
(lathe) batons across the joists, running at 90 degrees from the joists.
When you try to find the joists with a detector, all you get is the points
where the lattes are nailed to the cross batons, which is almost everywhere
on the ceiling.

Where you are erecting your stud wall, punch a hole through enough to stick
a hand in and feel exactly where you are with the joists. Use your tape
measure to get an idea of where the rest of the joists are.

The hole you make is easily covered by the top plate of the stud you're
building.