Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Running wires from the attic to the basement

"Ultraglide" wrote in message
A few days ago I posted a message about running wires through a cold air
return. Here's more info about the problem. I have some exterior lights on
the second story of my house that I want to install. I need to run power to
the lights and of course add a switch. If I call an electrician, would he/she
be able to run wire down to the basement to the panel and then install a switch
on the first floor? Or, would they tap into a hot wire in the attic and
install a switch on the second floor?

Check in the attic and basement if there is clearance near the plumbing vent
pipe from the basement through the roof. There may be gaps enough to snake a
wire down along the vent. Otherwise, holes can be drilled through the tops and
bottoms of walls (And offending firestops) to pass wires through. If it's a 2
story house, you would need to find a spot where walls on each floor are
directly above each other.