Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ricardo D. Medina Ricardo D. Medina is offline

Default 6" 4 Jaw chuck Backplate

Thanks for the tips... I've just called up a couple of raw stock
shops, and the only thing they can get that would sort of work as a 6"
disc is 1045... They shrugged at the mention of cast iron, I'd
probably need to get it cast somwhere... (Yep, you guessed, I'm not in
the US). So basically, I'll cut it out of 1045, and scrounge around
for a cast iron "something" that might do the job later... (No, no
scrapyards either... Isn't it annoying?)

Anyway, thanks for your time!

Ricardo

On Oct 31, 7:23*am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
You really should use a cast iron round. Cast iron is a dead material,
dimentionally stable and easy to machine. Steel is absolutely the wrong
material because it will sing when subjected to vibration and amplify tool
chatter.. This is the reason that all machine tools use cast iron. Don't
reinvent the wheel.
Steve